By: Ally Lozano, CEO and Founder
It is likely that you have a lot of goals. Your firm likely has a strong mission that you stand for and very specific reasons behind that mission. Also it is likely that you as the attorney and/or owner of your firm can easily state this to a client.
However, many businesses have a major disconnect- their staff does not know the goals of the firm. They cannot articulate the mission clearly. They cannot tell a potential client, a caller on the phone, or anyone else what the firm stands for.
This is important for many reasons:
- If your team does not understand the firm's goals, then they do not know how to succeed within the firm.
- Without clear direction and goals, the team will feel like they are operating without an end goal, much like working in an assembly plant.
- Your staff is the face of your business. They are the people who answer your phones and do a lot of direct client contact. If they can't express your mission or what makes you unique, then you have lost the essence of your business. It makes the client a transaction instead of an individual.
- When staff feel invested in the mission they find more meaning within their work and have greater rates of job satisfaction.
- Understanding the how and the why of the firm are crucial to expressing your unique advantage to your clients. Most clients have never worked with lawyers before. It's up to you and your team to tell them why you are the best fit for them and what makes you different from everyone else.
Try this challenge:
Send an email to your team and ask them the following questions:
- What is the mission of our law firm?
- What are the firm's goals?
- What are the goals that the firm has for you?
- What are five things that make us different from other firms?
- What are your goals within your current position?
- What are your goals within the firm overall?
This can also make a great topic for a firm-wide meeting. You can even use the email responses as a starting point for the meeting.
Leave a comment below to let us know how this has worked for you.
About your Ally in Life, Business and Law:
Alexandra "Ally" Lozano is a national award-winning attorney and the founder of AMIGA Lawyers and Alexandra Kennedy Immigration Law.. After becoming a mother, and in a matter of 3 months, Ally transformed her practice from earning in pesos to earning 6-figures and she is passionate about teaching attorneys how they can do the same. Ally empowers lawyers to be the CEOs of their law firms with her weekly blog, webinars, and conferences where she teaches step-by-step how to do the work they love while running a profitable legal business. Ally lives outside of Seattle with her husband and their 5 children.