By Wendy Castellanos
Fellow AMIGA, Amy and I got together for some fun Valentine’s Day DIY projects. We were able to accomplish all these crafts from our little town in Mexico so trust me when I tell you they are easy enough for anyone. And what else would your sweetie pie love more than a sweet, homemade gift from the heart?
For the DIY Rookie: “I Love You Because” Picture Frame
Don’t have much time? Grab a picture frame and create a place for a fun, sweet way to express sweet nothings to your spouse. You don’t even have to leave the house!
- Picture Frame
- Printer or Pretty Paper
- Dry Erase Markers
You can either buy pretty paper to print your message on or print a background image from the internet. We decided to take an image from the internet (finding pretty paper is challenging in our small town) and simply printed “I Love You Because” with a line underneath it. Pop it into the frame and Voila! your project is done. Use your dry erase markers to customize your message.
Take it a step further: Reuse a frame you already have and, if you’re not sold on the color, paint it to match your decor.
For the Creative Crafter: “Sensual” Gift Boxes
Some spouses can be hard to shop for, especially for Valentine’s Day. Show your thoughtful side by making these gift boxes that explore the five senses: see, hear, touch, taste and smell.
- 5 Empty Boxes
(we used tea boxes but you can use any size)
- Spray Paint
- 5 gifts: one for each sense
- Spray paint empty tea boxes
- Print and attach labels for each of the senses (See, Hear, Touch, Taste, & Smell)
- Fill painted boxes with a gift for each sense
- Wrap boxes together with ribbon
Gift ideas: Movie tickets (see), iTunes gift card (hear), massage lotion (touch), chocolates (taste), or cologne (smell). Consider topping it off with a piece of fun lingerie. Gifts can be sensual or silly!
For the DIY Diva: “Lazy Day” Lap Desk
Technology is everywhere and it’s invaded our bedrooms. This lap desk makes balancing your tablet or laptop in bed, that much easier! And while it’s not exactly specific to Valentine’s Day, it’s great idea for the tech lover in your household.
- Wooden lap desk or a piece of wood (we had ours cut at the local Home Depot)
- Trim around the board
- Staple Gun & Staples (make sure they are shorter than the wood for your desk)
- Spray Paint
1. You can either buy a wooden lap desk online or pick out a piece of wood and have it cut. We decided to pick out a piece of wood from Home Depot. The lovely gentleman there cut it for us. He rounded the edges and created a curve for the belly-side. Since I don’t speak Spanish, I had to use Google Translate but thankfully, he was able to understand what we wanted!
2. Stop by your local fabric store to pick out your fabric and the foam for underneath the board. Amy and I were like kids in a candy store - they had so many cool prints to choose from. Only problem for us? Not speaking Spanish. Luckily the woman at the store, recognized our issue and promptly yelled for what we assumed was her English speaking coworker. Imagine our surprise when out walked a boy, no older than 8 years old, to do the translating for us!
3. Take your board and spray paint the top and sides. You don't have to worry about the bottom it will be covered with the fabric.
4. I placed my lap desk top on the foam and traced a pattern. Be sure to cut the foam a little smaller than the top. You can use scissors to cut the foam, and don't worry if your edges aren't perfect. You won't be able to tell once you're done. We also glued our foam onto the board so it wouldn’t move around while we worked on the rest. It helps if you have a few extra hands to hold it for you.
5. Take your fabric and cut it as the shape of the board being sure to leave enough extra fabric to fold under and work with.
6. Time for the fun part. Get your staple gun and with the fabric folder under start stapling your fabric to the perimeter of the board. The corners can be a little tricky, just take your time and keep working the around the board. Make sure before you start that your staples aren’t longer the the depth of the board!
7. Once your foam is covered with the fabric you're almost done! Get your fabric glue and go along the line of staples and cover with the edging.
8. TADA!!! Now you have an amazing space to do your work while relaxing on the couch or bed!
9. As always, you can do your own special touches to make it your own. You can personalize your lap desk with names, glue on a mousepad to the side, etc.
Now kick back with your hubby and be lazy all day with your new his and her lap desks. It’s a gift you both will truly enjoy and get a ton of use out of with everyone’s busy day to day lives.